Thursday 24 February 2011

About Me

“About Me”
A plain Glasgow girl.
An old Glasgow pub.
Come along and enjoy.
A drink and some grub.

This is what I wrote on my invitations for my 40th birthday. You see, I think of myself as ordinary, shoe size five, dress size 10, medium height and build. Get the picture? When I went to school on the first day I thought it was too posh to call the priest ‘Father’ so I just called him daddy, much to everyone’s bemusement. To be different, was to be bullied, so I simply tried to fit in. My bright, ginger hair was enough to contend with.
The four of us had, what my mum called, the ‘most special, magnificent, heads of shining hair’ and we had been ‘blest by angels’. Only one of us believed her though and that was me. What I did not believe however, was that I was born into that family. There had been some mistake at the hospital. Some day this would be realised and off I would go, into the sunset, to my actual kin. Until that day of destiny arrived the angels would take care of me, or so I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment