Thursday 17 February 2011

Education!

I loved everything about being in school from the stodgy food to the scratchy toilet paper. I changed school about sixteen different times and lived in approximately thirty two different accommodations in my formative years. So I am quite the expert in the field of education. Maybe someday I will write a book about it and could call it ‘The Value of a Veritable and Varied Education’. We were always flitting about and being evicted so I am also very adept at packing a suitcase or a box in a hurry.
Once, we packed up the whole house when my dad was at work and the only transport that my mum could afford was the scrap man’s horse and cart. There we were, going from the Gorbals to Bridgeton through the Glasgow Green. I was euphoric and pretended to be Scarlet O’Hara being taken in a carriage to my new home in the East end. That was a lovely day, although it was more ‘taking the piss’ than ‘gone with the wind’, and all the neighbours laughed their heads off at us.
When I was sixteen though, I refused to move school again. The authorities classed me as a fee paying pupil because I lived out with the catchment area and had to pay my own bus fare. I thought it was very posh at the time. I had been ‘classed’ for the first time! Only this time my carriage was a corporation bus instead of a horse drawn carriage.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! I spelt there wrong and this blog was about EDUCATION!!!

    It's the keyboard not me!!!

    Too many exlclamation marks Rusty XXX

    ReplyDelete